The project is part of the LIFE19 NAT/LT/000898 Program "Providing a climate resilient network of critical sites for the Lesser White-fronted Goose in Europe".
The project’s aim is to propose a management plan regarding the freshwater in the area of interest along with a technical description of the required actions for water, soil and vegetation management which should be carried out for the expansion of freshwater habitats and thus foraging areas for the Lesser White-fronted Goose in Evros Delta.
Based on this, within the framework of the LIFE19 NAT/LT/000898 Program, there will be carried out actions such as re-flooding of selected places for the creation of wet meadows which will contribute to the inhibition of the halophytic vegetation’s expansion in the area, as well as planting of vegetation species preferable for the Lesser White-fronted Goose’s diet and for the creation of suitable habitats that will potentially be used by the wintering populations of the Lesser White-fronted Goose in the following years.
In order to achieve the goal of improving the Lesser White-fronted Goose’s habitats, it is necessary, among other things, to capture and understand the ecosystem services related to the habitats of the species in the project area.
OikoM, in collaboration with researchers from the Hellenic Agricultural Organization – DIMITRA, Mr. Ilias Karmiris, Mr. Savvas Kazantzidis and Mr. Christos Astaras, has undertaken:
- the mapping and evaluation of the ecosystem services related to the species habitats
- the development of a hydrodynamic simulation model
- the preparation of a Management Plan for the hydrological conditions and the vegetation
- the technical description of the required actions/ interventions
- the environmental licensing of the proposed projects
- the implementation of selected actions/ interventions
- the monitoring of the results regarding the achievement of the project's goal.